AGENDA CITY COUNCIL & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION October 16, 2000
Closed Session 5:30 P.M. Public Meeting 6:30 P.M. Public Hearings begin at 8:00 P.M. Council Chamber Pasadena City Hall, Room 247
5:30 P.M. CLOSED SESSION (To be heard at 5:30 p.m., and/or at the conclusion of the meeting)
A. CITY COUNCIL CONFERENCE REGARDING PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION pursuant to Government Code Section 54957: Title: City Attorney
6:30 P.M. PUBLIC MEETING
1. ROLL CALL, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE AND CEREMONIAL MATTERS
2. PUBLIC COMMENT ON MATTERS NOT ON THE AGENDA - Public comment will be limited to a total of 20 minutes at the beginning of the meeting and will continue under Item 12 (below) "Public Comment (continued)". Please limit comments to 3 minutes each.
3. OLD BUSINESS
4. CONSENT CALENDAR (The Consent Calendar consists of routine items which will be approved by one motion and one vote unless removed for separate discussion)
A. City Manager
(1) HAHAMONGNA WATERSHED PARK SPORTS FIELD RENOVATION: CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT AWARD TO MARIPOSA HORTICULTURAL ENTERPRISES, INC Recommendation of City Manager: (a) Accept the bid, dated September 27, 2000, submitted by Mariposa Horticultural Enterprises, Inc. in response to the specifications for the Hahamongna Watershed Park Sports Field Renovation project, reject all other bids received, and authorize the City Manager to enter into such contract as required. The amount of the proposed contract is $176,000; (b) Acknowledge the project to be categorically exempt under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) pursuant to Section 15301(h) of the State CEQA Guidelines (maintenance of existing landscaping) and authorize the City Manager to execute and the City Clerk to file a Notice of Exemption therefor with the Los Angeles County Clerk.
(2) APPLICATION FOR RECREATIONAL TRAILS PROGRAM (RTP) GRANT 2000/01 CYCLE FOR RESTORATION OF FLINT WASH TRAIL CROSSING TERMINUS OF THE LA CANADA VERDUGO ROAD BETWEEN DEVIL'S GATE DAM AND THE OLD OAK GROVE PARK SERVICE ROAD Recommendation of City Manager: Adopt a resolution approving the grant application request for $375,000 for the Recreational Trails Program Grant for Restoration of Flint Wash Trail Crossing Terminus of the La Canada Verdugo Road between Devli's Gate Dam and the Old Oak Grove Park Service Road.
(3) SALE OF SURPLUS HELICOPTER Recommendation of City Manager: (a) Authorize the Director of Finance to sell, at auction, a surplus 1987 Enstrom helicopter, registration number N8624B; (b) Approve the appropriation of the net proceeds from the sale, estimated at $50,600, to the LA Impact Account No. 104-402410.
(4) REAPPROPRIATION OF UNITED STATES LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM FUNDS (LLEBG) AND SUPPLEMENTAL LAW ENFORCEMENT SERVICES FUNDS (SLESF) Recommendation of City Manager: (a) Approve a journal voucher reappropriating $146,000 in United States Local Law Enforcement Block Grant Program (LLEBG) revenues, from the unappropriated fund balance as follows: $100,000 to Account No. 8011-107-407600, overtime; $46,000 to Account No. 8005-107-407600, regular salaries. (b) Approve a journal voucher reappropriating $111,500 from the Supplemental Law Enforcement Services unappropriated fund balance as follows: $20,000 to Account No. 8101-201-407400, materials and supplies; $58,000 to Account No. 8115-201-407400, consultant services and $33,500 to Account No. 8504-201-407400, equipment.
(5) CLARIFICATION OF ART AND CULTURE GUIDELINES AS APPROVED BY CITY COUNCIL IN MAY, 2000 Recommendation of City Manager: Approve addition of the following sentence to the Submission Requirements of the Art & Culture Guidelines: "In addition to this annual review cycle, the Arts Commission reviews requests for funding from the Downtown Cultural Trust Fund as necessary throughout the fiscal year."
B. City Clerk
(1) Receive and file claims against the City of Pasadena
Claim No. 8616 City Cab Co. $ 1,695.16 Claim No. 8617 Maria V. Baber-Smith Unknown Claim No. 8618 Weng Tang 3,519.00 Claim No. 8619 Gregory A. Ward 175.00
C. Public hearing set:
October 30, 2000, 8:00 p.m. - Proposed Amendment to the Valley Hunt Club Master Development Plan for the Property Located at 520 S. Orange Grove Boulevard
5. REPORTS AND COMMENTS FROM COUNCIL COMMITTEES
A. Business Enterprise Committee
(1) DIRECT THE CITY ATTORNEY TO PREPARE AN AMENDMENT TO PASADENA MUNICIPAL CODE CHAPTER 9.37 REGARDING LEAF BLOWING MACHINES Recommendation of City Manager: It is recommended that the City Council direct the City Attorney to prepare an amendment to Chapter 9.37 of the Pasadena Municipal Code regarding leaf-blowing machines that will: (1) Change the earliest time when a leaf blower may be used in a residential district from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m., with hours of use between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Weekend use will remain unchanged from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays, and use will be prohibited on Sundays; (2) Limit the hours of use in a commerical area, if the leaf blower is used within 500 feet of a residential district, to between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on weekdays, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays, and use to be prohibited on Sundays; (3) Lower the maximum noise level allowable to 65 decibels, from 70 decibels, when the leaf blower is measured from a site 50 feet away; and (4) Assign primary responsibility to the Pasadena Public Health Department for the administration and enforcement of the Leaf Blowing Machines Ordinance and authorize the Pasadena Public Health Department to issue administrative citations of the Leaf Blowing Machines Ordinance after notice has been given.
B. Deregulation Committee
C. Finance Committee
D. Legislative Policy Committee E. Public Safety Committee
(1) POLICE FIRING RANGE STATUS Recommendation of City Manager: There is no recommendation. This report is for information only.
F. Reports from Representatives
6. PUBLIC HEARINGS - None
7. RECOMMENDATIONS FROM OFFICERS AND DEPARTMENTS
A. City Council
(1) APPROPRIATION OF FUNDS FOR CONSULTING SERVICES RELATING TO THE SELECTION OF A SCHOOL SITE IN NORTHWEST PASADENA Recommendation of the Mayor: It is recommended that City Council appropriate $42,500 from the Unappropriated General Fund Balance to support the City's portion of a contract between the Pasadena Unified School District and Concordia, Inc. for site selection services regarding the construction of a new school in Northwest Pasadena.
(2) RESIGNATION OF JEANETTE K. MILLS FROM HUMAN RELATIONS COMMISSION (District 1 Appointment)
B. City Manager
(1) PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO CHAPTER 14 OF THE PASADENA MUNICIPAL CODE TO ADD SECTION 14.04.035 WHICH WILL AMEND SECTION 104.2.8 OF THE 1998 CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE ADDING PROVISIONS FOR ALTERNATE MATERIALS, ALTERNATE DESIGN AND METHODS OF CONSTRUCTION Recommendation of City Manager: Direct the City Attorney to prepare an ordinance to amend the Pasadena Municipal Code by revising the provisions of 14.04.035 to incorporate alternate materials, alternate design and methods of construction.
8. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION MEETING - (To be canceled)
A. First Reading:
B. Second Reading:
(1) Adopt "AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF PASADENA AMENDING TITLE 17 OF THE PASADENA MUNICIPAL CODE, THE REVISED ZONING CODE, TO REQUIRE A CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A PARKING LOT IN THE PK OVERLAY DISTRICT" (Introduced by Councilmember Little )
(2) Adopt "AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF PASADENA AMENDING SECTION 2.175.030(A) OF THE PASADENA MUNICIPAL CODE TO APPOINT THE CITY MANAGER, OR REPRESENTATIVE TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE ROSE BOWL OPERATING COMPANY" (Introduced by Councilmember Tyler)
10. INFORMATION ITEMS
A. EMERGENCY BRUSH CLEARANCE FOR FIRE MITIGATION IN THE CENTRAL AND LOWER ARROYO SECO Recommendation of City Manager: Pursuant to Pasadena Municipal Code Section 4.08.150, it is recommended that City Council receive and file this report.
11. COMMUNICATIONS: None
12. PUBLIC COMMENT (Continued)