THE RECAP REFLECTS A BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE COUNCIL ACTIONS, HOWEVER,
IT DOES NOT REFLECT THE OFFICIAL ACTIONS OF THE COUNCIL WHICH WILL BE
REFLECTED IN THE OFFICIAL MINUTES.
ATTACHMENTS TO THE STAFF REPORTS ARE AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING
AT THE PASADENA PUBLIC LIBRARIES AND CITY CLERK'S OFFICE.
IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE AMERICANS WITH
DISABILITIES ACT OF 1990,
LISTENING ASSISTIVE DEVICES ARE AVAILABLE FROM THE CITY CLERK'S
OFFICE WITH A 24-HOUR ADVANCE NOTICE. PLEASE CALL (626) 744-4124
TO REQUEST USE OF A LISTENING DEVICE.
Language translation services are available for this meeting
by calling (626) 744-4124 at least 24 hours in advance.
Habrá servicio de interpretación disponible para éstas juntas llamando al
(626) 744-4124 por lo menos con 24 horas de anticipación.
Meetings are broadcast live on cable Channel 55 and rebroadcast daily;
call (626)794-8585 for schedule.
CITY OF PASADENA NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING OF THE CITY COUNCIL NOVEMBER 25, 2002 5:00 P.M.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a special meeting of the City Council will be held on Monday, November 25, 2002, at 5:00 p.m., at the City Hall Council Chamber, 100 North Garfield, Room 247, to discuss the following items:
1. ROLL CALL/PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
2. CONSENT CALENDAR (The Consent Calendar consists of routine items which will be approved by one motion and one vote unless removed for separate discussion)
A. City Manager
(1) AUTHORIZATION TO ENTER INTO A CONTRACT WITH LAMBCO ENGINEERING, INC. FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF UNDERGROUND ELECTRICAL CONDUIT SYSTEM FOR UNITS 3 AND 4 GAS TURBINES IN GLENARM PLANT, SPECIFICATION LD- 02-09 Recommendation of City Manager: (i) Accept the bid dated November 6, 2002, submitted by Lambco Engineering, Inc. in response to Specification LD-02-09; (ii) Reject all other bids; and (iii) Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract for an amount not to exceed $516,890.00 as required. 219k
(2) AUTHORIZATION TO ENTER INTO A CONTRACT WITH THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA GAS COMPANY IN THE AMOUNT OF $160,000 FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF GAS SUPPLY AT THE BROADWAY POWER PLANT Recommendation of City Manager: Authorize the City Manager to enter into a contract with the Southern California Gas Company to upgrade the gas supply system at the Broadway Power Plant, in an amount not to exceed $160,000. The proposed contract is exempt from competitive bidding pursuant to City Charter Section 1002(C), contracts for labor, materials, services or supplies available only from one vendor. 191k
(3) APPROVAL OF THE MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN THE CITY OF PASADENA AND THE PASADENA POLICE OFFICERS ASSOCIATION AND ADOPTION OF A RESOLUTION PROVIDING FOR REPORTING THE VALUE OF EMPLOYER PAID MEMBER CONTRIBUTIONS AS COMPENSATION TO CALIFORNIA PUBLIC EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT SYSTEM (CALPERS) Recommendation of City Manager: (1) Approve a successor Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Pasadena and the Pasadena Police Officers Association (PPOA) for the term April 25, 2002 through April 25, 2004; (2) Adopt a resolution providing for reporting the value of Employer Paid Member Contributions as compensation to the California Public Employees Retirement System; and (3) Approve a journal voucher allocating funds from the Personnel reserves to the Police Department as appropriate. 278k
B. City Council
(1) RESIGNATION OF RICHARD WONG FROM THE HUMAN RELATIONS COMMISSION (District 2 Nomination) 80k
(2) APPOINTMENT OF JOAN BANKS TO THE SENIOR COMMISSION (District 1 Nomination)
C. City Clerk
(1) Approval of Minutes - September 16, 2002
(2) Receive and file claims against the City of Pasadena
Claim No. 9147 Howard L. Tipton $1,466.00 Claim No. 9148 Allstate Insurance Company 638.94 Claim No. 9149 Roshawn & Chrystal Saxton Unknown Claim No. 9150 Tony R. Brock 59.39 Claim No. 9151 Nerses Bardakjian 3,108.22 Claim No. 9152 Robert Perez 2,780.00 Claim No. 9153 Melinda Jane Beug 4,426.99 Claim No. 9154 Tracey Johnson 5,000.00
3. PUBLIC HEARING: DRAFT LAND USE ELEMENT UPDATE, CONCEPTUAL APPROVAL Recommendation of City Manager: It is recommended that the City Council, following a public hearing, approve conceptually the Draft Land Use Element update (Attachment A of the agenda report) and initiate an Environmental Impact Report on the Draft Land Use Element update. Recommendation of Planning Commission: The Planning Commission on November 13, 2002, following a public hearing, unanimously recommended that the City Council approve conceptually the Draft Land Use Element update and initiate an Environmental Impact Report on the Draft Land Use Element update. 421k
4. CLOSED SESSION
A. CITY COUNCIL CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6 Agency Negotiators: Karyn Ezell, Steve Lem Employee Organization: Pasadena Fire Fighters Association, Local 809
5. PUBLIC HEARING: CENTRAL DISTRICT SPECIFIC PLAN FRAMEWORK Recommendation of City Manager: Following a public hearing, it is recommended that the City Council conceptually approve the Central District Specific Plan Framework as modified by the Planning Commission and other Commission and community comments in Attachment 2 of the agenda report, and direct staff to initiate an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) on the Draft Central District Specific Plan. Recommendation of Planning Commission: On October 23, 2002, following a public hearing, the Planning Commission adopted the following recommendation: Recommend approval of the Central District Specific Plan Framework to the City Council with the following additional comments: • The Planning Commission be involved in the EIR scoping process; • Staff develop criteria for the circumstances when a developer can apply for the 10% floor area ratio (FAR) bonus; • References to heights in stories in the General Plan be replaced with height in feet; • In the EIR scoping process consider the following issues: • Consider counting above ground parking garages in the FAR calculations for parcels above a threshold size. • Consider whether it is appropriate to change the transit-oriented development areas from 1/4 mile circles to a larger area. • Consider whether the FARs should be increased around the light rail stations and decreased accordingly elsewhere. Staff concurs with the Planning Commission recommendation and Attachment 2 of the agenda report summarizes the recommended changes to the Central District Specific Plan Framework to respond to the Planning Commission and other comments. 553k
6. PUBLIC HEARING: GENERAL PLAN MOBILITY ELEMENT FRAMEWORK Recommendation of City Manager: It is recommended that the City Council, following a public hearing, approve the Framework for the Draft Mobility Element of the General Plan Update. Recommendations of Advisory Bodies: The Transportation Advisory Commission, the Planning Commission, and the Joint Subcommittee of the Planning Commission, Transportation Advisory Commission and Community Development Committee concur with the recommended approach taken by staff in the development of the Mobility Element. 252k
7. PUBLIC HEARING: REVISIONS TO THE ZONING CODE - TRANSIT-ORIENTED DEVELOPMENT, MEDICAL OFFICE PARKING, HOURS OF LOADING AND UNLOADING, FENCES WITH FORGED POINTS (SPIKES), INTERNET ACCESS STUDIOS AND ADMINISTRATIVE PROVISIONS Recommendation of City Manager: It is recommended that the City Council, following a public hearing: (1) Adopt a finding that the proposed amendments to the Zoning Code are consistent with the General Plan as outlined in the agenda report; and (2) Direct the City Attorney to draft an ordinance amending the Zoning Code as contained in the agenda report. Recommendation of Planning Commission: The Planning Commission reviewed these amendments on October 23, 2002, and recommended unanimously to approve proposed amendments with the exception of the amendment regarding the time period for the discontinuance of nonconforming uses, where it recommended a period of six months. The Commission's other comments have been incorporated into this recommendation. Recommendation of Transportation Advisory Commission: The Transportation Advisory Commission reviewed the proposed amendments regarding transit-oriented development on September 13, 2002. On a vote of 3-2, it voted to recommend the staff's recommendation. One of the concerns was that a reduction in parking should be on a case-by-case basis and not codified within the Zoning Code. This would allow the City to further mitigate potential impacts through, for example, a transit subsidy. Another concern was whether the transit-oriented development proposal worked within the framework of the City's overall transit plan. Recommendation of Design Commission: The Design Commission reviewed the proposed changes to the Design Review Chapter in the Code and the thresholds for design review on October 14, 2002. It voted unanimously to recommend approval of the proposed amendments. 574k
A. First Reading:
(1) Conduct first reading of "AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF PASADENA AMENDING CHAPTER 4.08 OF THE PASADENA MUNICIPAL CODE, THE COMPETITIVE BIDDING AND PURCHASING ORDINANCE, TO ELIMINATE CONFLICT WITH CONTRACTING GUIDELINES FOR FEDERALLY OR STATE FUNDED PROJECTS" 571k
B. Second Reading:
(1) Adopt "AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF PASADENA AMENDING TITLE 17 (THE ZONING CODE) OF THE PASADENA MUNICIPAL CODE, ESTABLISHING THE FAIR OAKS/ORANGE GROVE SPECIFIC PLAN ZONING DISTRICT AND SUBDISTRICTS TO IMPLEMENT THE FAIR OAKS/ORANGE GROVE SPECIFIC PLAN" (Introduced by Councilmember Streator) 1401k
________________________ Bill Bogaard, Mayor City of Pasadena Note to Public: An opportunity for public comment will be provided at the time each of the above items are discussed. Public comment for this special meeting is limited to the items on the special meeting notice. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per speaker.
I HEREBY CERTIFY that this notice, in its entirety, was posted on the Council Chamber Bulletin Board, Room 247, City Hall, on November 21, 2002 at 5:30 p.m., and that copies hereof were faxed or delivered to each member of the City Council and faxed to each local newspaper of general circulation, radio or television station requesting notice in writing, all of which media recipients are identified on the distribution list set forth herein below. _______________________ Jane L. Rodriguez, CMC City Clerk
City Council Star News City Manager The Pasadena Weekly City Attorney La Opinion Public Information Officer Pasadena Journal Main Library Los Angeles Times