South Lake Avenue was bounded by houses on both sides of the street.
In September of 1947, Bullock’s Department Store (now Macy’s)
opened and South Lake Avenue would never by the same.
This “store of tomorrow” was designed and merchandised to appeal
to the “carriage trade” arriving by automobile.
Bullock’s interior was created with an atmosphere of a “home”
or an exclusive country club. The
elegance and prestige of Bullock’s led to the development on both sides of
South Lake Avenue with upscale shops, boutiques, national retailers and
restaurants. South Lake Avenue
had become one of the premiere shopping destinations of the San Gabriel
Valley. In the early 1960’s,
the northern section of South Lake Avenue, near Green, began to develop as a
financial and professional district. This
growth continued during the 1970s and 1980s, significantly increasing the
professional day-time population.
Today, many of the shops, restaurants and professional offices remain the same carrying with them the history of South Lake Avenue. In addition, many new businesses have moved into the area to meet the changing needs of our time. Throughout its fifty plus years of growth and expansion, South Lake Avenue has continued to maintain its status as a vital thriving community in the City of Pasadena.
For more information, please contact
South Lake Avenue Business
What's happening in Pasadena? Check out www.pasadenacitycenter.com!
Last modified on September 28, 2010