Download information on
this page (PDF - 108 KB)
Jackie Robinson Memorial Field
At the north end of Brookside Park, the ballpark was
named for Jackie Robinson on January 30, 1988.
Pasadena City College baseball team plays their home
games on this field.
The plaque reads: “Jackie Robinson Memorial Field A
scholar, an athlete, a trailblazer Dedicated January 30, 1988.”
(See also City Hall – Robinson
Memorial; Jackie Robinson’s boyhood home)
100 N. Garfield Ave.
Jo Heckman Memorial Trees
Dedicated October 3, 1998.
Two Mexican Fan Palm Trees planted at the east
entrance to City Hall, on Euclid Street.
Plaque reads: In honor and Memory of Jo Heckman
Pasadena’s First Woman Mayor 1980-1982 This Living Gateway of Palm
Trees is Dedicated by Her Friends October 1998
Dedicated November 6, 1997.
Bronze portrait sculptures commemorate the lives of
brothers, Jackie and Mack Robinson, located on Garfield Avenue,
north of Union Street, across the street from City Hall.
Completed June 20, 2002 with a ring of granite tiles
etched with donor’s names, benches and landscaping, including peach
trees. (Pasadena Star News 6/21/02)
Mack Robinson won the silver medal in the 200-meter
race in the 1936 Olympics.
Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball
when in 1947 he joined the Brooklyn Dodgers.
(See also – Brookside Park: Jackie
Robinson Memorial Field; Jackie Robinson’s Boyhood Home)
Sister City Trees
Two plaques mark a small orchard of trees across
Garfield Street from City Hall, south of Holly Street.
One plaque commemorates the sister-city relationship
between Pasadena and Vanadzor, Armenia.
The other plaque reads, “These trees dedicated to
the International Friendship between Pasadena, Ludwigshafen, Mishima
and Jarvenpaa. Pasadena Sister City Committee December 1988”.
of Colorado Blvd. & Orange Grove Blvd.
Alongside the path that extends west from Grand
Ave., is a drinking fountain made from river rocks.
There is a plaque, but it has rusted over and is
Founder’s Monument (Pioneer Plaque
Designed by Walter C. Beckwith.
Dedicated Wednesday, January 27, 1954. Rededicated
November 12, 1986 when a new plaque replaced the original marker,
which had been stolen.
A green sandstone wall and a bench at the corner of
Orange Grove and Colorado are made of stone from the 1890 building
of the Pasadena Public Library. A plaque bears the names of the 27
original colonists of Pasadena, which are also listed in the
Pasadena Post, June 3, 1937.
The sandstone wall and bench was repaired in 2003
using sandstone from a wall at the Hillmont House (privately owned).
(Pasadena Star News 7-3-03
Inscribed: “This monument is dedicated in honor of
the twenty-seven founders of the City of Pasadena. Near this spot
on January 27, 1874 the original purchasers of land in the Rancho
San Pasqual met and selected each his choice of lots. With the 27
names following, many of them still prominent in the City.”
Another rock, inscribed “Founder’s Square” was
described and pictured in an undated article (after 1949). The
article claims that the rock was found when workmen were widening
North Orange Grove Boulevard, and was moved to a warehouse for safe
Goodhue Flagpole (aka Pasadena
Memorial Flagpole @ Orange Grove and Colorado)
Dedicated February 12, 1927, to the men and women of
Pasadena who served in World War I (WWI).
Designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue and built by
115 feet tall.
List of Pasadenans who gave their lives in WWI is in
the Star News, February 11, 1927.
Originally stood in the center of Orange Grove/West
Colorado intersection. Moved to the NE corner because it was
declared a traffic hazard.
Inscription reads: “In Proved Remembrance of Our
Glorious Dead MCMXVIII”.
Unknown who placed it or when it was erected.
Reads “Defender’s Parkway Dedicated by Mothers of
the Defenders of the Flag Soldiers Sailors Marines Who So Gallantly
Responded to our Country’s Call 1776 1861 1898 1917”.
Bronze plaque at the southwest corner of Orange
Grove and Colorado Blvd., identifying the spot as the city’s
Dedicated October 27, 1950.
Originally on the Pitch & Putt golf course @
Carmelita Gardens to honor Lt. Orrin Russell Fox, who died in World
War II (WWII).
Moved to Pasadena Art Museum because of freeway
Moved again to Orange Grove and Colorado, near the
Pioneer Plaque monument.
Pasadena Pioneers Bridge
“Pasadena Pioneer Bridge
erected by the California Commission and the Division of Highways of the
Department of Public Works – named by resolution of the 1953 state
legislature and dedicated to all Pasadena pioneers especially the twenty
seven who founded this city near this spot on January 27, 1874 dedicated
October 8, 1953 by the City of Pasadena and a committee of citizens
grateful for our illustrious past and committed to a more glorious
An Italian Cypress was dedicated to Leonard J.
Pieroni in May 1996 by Pasadena Chamber of Commerce. Reverend
Lawrence Signey officiated the ceremony.
Pieroni died on April 3, 1996 in an airplane crash
A plaque marking the tree tells the story:
“In honor of Leonard J. Pieroni
1939-1996 Chairman and
Chief Executive Officer of Parsons Corporation and an
outstanding leader of the Pasadena Business Community, who gave his
life while on U.S. Commerce Secretary Brown’s mission to
help rebuild the war-torn Balkan region. Pasadena Chamber of
Additionally, a one-block portion of DeLacey Ave.,
from Union Street north to Parson’s Corporation has been renamed in
his honor. (Pasadena Star News, April 17, 1996)
2175 Yucca Lane
Named in Honor of A.
Mayor 1948 – 1951 And
Mayor 1970 – 1978
Dedicated Dec 13, 1975
In Memory of
A Dedicated Police Volunteer
“We are Forever Grateful”
A third plaque to recognize Lieutenant Oldfield’s
accomplishments in expanding the heliport facility is placed at the
trailer building, which is called “Oldfield Annex”. It is not a
memorial, as Oldfield is still living.
Pasadena Police Department
In Honor of
Lieutenant Tom Oldfield
Robinson’s Boyhood Home
Jackie Robinson’s mother, Mallie Robinson, bought the
house in 1920. She moved in with 16 month old Jackie and her 4 other
children. They were the first African-American family on Pepper Street.
The Robinson house was torn down in the early 1970’s.
Today, a plaque in the sidewalk marks the site. It reads:
“Jackie Robinson resided on this site with his family from 1922 to
(See also – Brookside Park:
Jackie Robinson Memorial Field; City Hall: Robinson Memorial)
John Muir High
On October 31, 1993, three youths, Stephen Coats,
Reginald Crawford and Edgar Evans, were shot on their way home from
trick-or-treating. The community was devastated. John Muir High
School responded with a memorial to their students, Stephen Coats
and Reginald Crawford.
Imbedded in granite is a plaque that reads:
of Stephen Coats and Reginald Crawford November 18, 1993 John Muir
Park (previously known as Library Park)
Ave & Walnut St.
Memorial Day, 1906 (Wood, J.W., Pasadena – Historical and Personal ,
Inscribed: “Erected By The Citizens of Pasadena To Perpetuate The Memory
Of The Defenders Of The Union ’61 to ‘65”.
Two Batchelder tile fountains, dedicated in 1932 by the
Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War to American War Mothers.
Inscribed: “Dedicated To Our Mothers By Daughters Of Union
Veterans Of The Civil War 1861 – 1865”.
These fountains were badly damaged in 1990 when Memorial Park
was re-landscaped. Fountains were rebuilt from the salvaged pieces.
On the west side of Memorial Park is a plaque, inscribed:
“Pasadena Chapter D.A.R. 50th Anniversary, Jan. 12, 1956.”
Memorial Arch of Library
“Memorial arch of Pasadena’s first
free public library.
Stone building of Romanesque
architecture erected here in the 1880’s, financed largely by public
subscription. Served as Pasadena’s main public library from 1890-1927;
condemned as unsafe in 1933; razed in 1954.
This entrance arch, restored in
1955 by the City of Pasadena, at the request of the Pasadena Historical
Society, is dedicated to the memory of Pasadena pioneers who in early and
difficult days established here a public library as an expression of
reverence for literature and art. Their spirit symbolized in this remaining
archway, lives on.”
Dedicated September 9, 1955.
The date inscribed on the Archway stone is July 4, 1887.
Severely damaged in the 1994 Northridge earthquake and
subsequently fenced in.
Vietnam Veteran Memorial
Dedicated Veteran’s Day, 1993, City Hall Rotunda.
Rededicated Sunday, October 24, 2004 in Memorial Park.
Triangular shaped granite and bronze structure honoring
Pasadena servicemen killed or missing in the Vietnam War.
Inscribed with names of 31 men (no women from Pasadena
were killed in Vietnam) also listed in the Star News November 12,
The memorial lies west of the park’s band shell with the
United States, California and POW/MIA flags flying overhead. (Pasadena
Star News, 10-25-04)
Located west of the Gold Shell in Memorial Park.
Dedicated to “Godfrey Post of G.A.R. Erected by John F.
Godfrey Post G.A.R. June 14, 1912”.
“G.A.R.” stands for “Grand Army of the Republic,” an
organization of Civil War veterans who fought for the North.
Not found upon inspection of park, March, 2007.
Fair Oaks Ave. and Pasadena
Historical Alley Plaques
A series of historical
markers that pay homage to Pasadena’s earliest settlers, merchants
and businesses. There are more than 40 markers scattered throughout
the 22 alleys that crisscross Old Pasadena. Some alleys have more
than one of the 9 x 12 inch markers.
Examples include the
plaque on Baker Alley, which runs parallel to Fair Oaks between
Dayton and Valley, named for John Hamilton Baker, who was one of the
original 27 settlers, and the plaque at Mercantile Place, between
Fair Oaks and Raymond.
In alphabetical order, the
markers are: Baker Alley, Bonham Alley, Brainard Alley, Braley
Court, Carr Alley, Christensen Alley, Edwin Alley, Electric Alley,
Exchange Alley, Fraser Alley, Hayes Alley, Hopkins Alley, Hugus
Alley, Kendall Alley, Legge Alley, Martin Alley, McCormick Alley,
Mercantile Place, Miller Alley, Mills Place, Morgan Alley, Smith
Alley. (Old Pasadena, Historic Alley Walkway System)
Dedicated January 27, 1974 by the Pasadena Foreign
Cities Affiliation Committee.
Located on the west side of the Pasadena Civic
Center. The Plaza consists of walkways, a large fountain and a
Ludwigshafen and Mishima Plazas, both designed by
landscape architect Lawrence Halpern, were part of the original plan
for Pasadena Center.
At the south end of Ludwigshafen Plaza stands the
Moreton Bay Fig, a Pasadena landmark.
Ludwigshafen Commemorative Pylon, an aluminum
sculpture that stands in the fountain, is a scale replica of a
40-ft. column in Pfalzbrau Plaza, in Ludwigshafen, Germany.
Also referred to as “Ludwigshafenstrasse.” (Pasadena
Star News, “Sister cities for 50 years”, Feb. 24, 1998, p.
The plaque on the base of the fountain reads :
“Ludwigshafen Plaza Ludwigshafen, Germany Pasadena’s Sister City
Dedicated January 27, 1974 Ludwigshafen Platz Ludwigshafen, Deutschland
Pasadena’s Partnerstadt Geiwidmet 27 Januar 1947”
Dedicated May 3, 1974, by the Pasadena Foreign
Cities Affiliation Committee.
The central feature is a 300-seat amphitheater,
which has been used for outdoor lectures and musical performances.
Designed as part of the Pasadena Convention Center,
by landscape architect Lawrence Halpern.
An obelisk stands in the rose garden in Mishima
Plaza, carrying the phrase “May Peace Prevail on Earth” in English
and three other languages.
The plaque reads (in both English and Japanese):
Pasadena’s Sister City
Dedicated May 3, 1974”
On top of the podium holding the dedication plaque
is another plaque which reads, “Jiro Morita Pasadena – Mishima
1892-1975”. Morita was born in Japan and came to Pasadena in 1911.
He attended Throop College (now California Institute of Technology)
and spent much of his life as a liaison between Japanese speaking
people and his fellow U.S. citizens. (Pasadena Star News,
June 13, 1971)
N. Garfield Ave.
Memorial for Fallen Officers
series of plaques on a large column outside the Police Station
entrance, dedicated to all officers killed on duty in the
The largest plaque reads as follows:
“In Memorium to those
Pasadena Police Officers and Other Law Enforcement Officers killed
in Pursuit of Peace and Justice in Pasadena.
‘Be just and fear not;
let all the ends thou aimest at be thy country’s, thy God’s and
Truth’s.’ W. Shakespeare
This memorial dedicated
March 11, 1999 Pasadena Police Department Historical Committee
Bernard K. Melekian Police Chief Designed by Officer Victor Cass
Words by Corporal Randle Findley”
“Clarence E. Peck Police Officer Pasadena Police Department Died of an
accidental gunshot wound received in the line of duty on August 1, 1911
while attempting to put out a fire at 156 N. Broadway (N. Arroyo Blvd.)
August 4, 1911”
“Richard F. Morris Agent
Pasadena Police Department Shot and killed in the line of duty while
investigating an assault case in Altadena, California. March 13,
George M. Montoya Special
Agent Drug Enforcement Administration hot and killed during an
undercover operation in Pasadena, California February 5, 1988
Paul S. Seema Special
Agent Drug Enforcement Administration Shot on February 5, 1988
during an undercover operation in Pasadena, California and died the
following day. February 6, 1988
The entire park was dedicated as “a living memorial to those who
fell in World War II” by the Pasadena War Memorial Committee,
chaired by Orrin W. Fox on May 25, 1952. (Pasadena Star News
, May 26, 1952)
The park was originally planned as part of a proposed
Eaton Wash recreational project, which was slashed when the new Pasadena
High School campus was established on part of the planned complex.
(Pineda, Manuel, Pasadena Area History, p. 65).
The park was rededicated on May 29, 2004 after it was
refurbished. The improvements were paid for by the City of Pasadena and
the San Gabriel Valley Vietnam Veterans Association. Pasadena
Star News May 31, 2004
Gold Star Mother’s Flagpole
The base of the flagpole at the corner of North Altadena
Drive and Paloma Street in Victory Park has a plaque provided by Gold
Inscribed: “In remembrance of those who made the supreme
sacrifice during World War II.”
The flagpole monument was cleaned and the green concrete
base was restored in 2004. The original V-shaped rose garden was
replaced with a large concrete “V.” The original plaque remains.
Pasadena Star News May 31, 2004.
Set in a large native boulder along the walk in the center
of the children’s play area in Victory Park, a bronze plaque has the
insignia: “United for Service National Exchange Club”.
playground equipment is dedicated to all children of the community
by the Exchange Club of Pasadena August 11, 1964.
Water and Power Department
San Rafael Hills
A plaque at the corner of South San Rafael Ave. and
La Loma Road commemorates the deaths of three Pasadena Water and
Power Department employees who died July 12, 1990, caught in an
electrical vault explosion near that corner.
The Plaque reads:
“In loving memory of our brothers
July 12, 1990
Walter Glenn Wise
Brian S. Miles
Larry F. Hokenson”
Water and Power Building
311 W. Mountain Ave.
A plaque placed in a granite boulder stands in
memory of Ralph Alexander and Johnny Long, who were killed in an
underground explosion in 1962, as well as the three men killed in
the 1990 explosion in the San Rafael area.
The plaque states:
“In memory from all your co-workers
August 13, 1962
Ralph “Shorty” Alexander
July 12, 1990
Walter Glenn Wise
Brian S. Miles
Larry F. Hokenson”
391 S. Orange
Located in the rose garden on the north side of Wrigley
Mansion, honoring Vietnam War dead, esp. Warrant Officer James Johansen,
who died in 1968. Johansen’s mother, Mrs. Barbara Johansen, gave the
tree to the city.
Plaque reads, “The Freedom Tree With the Vision of
Universal Freedom for all Mankind This Tree is Dedicated to Warrant
Officer James A. Johansen and All Those Lost in the Viet Nam War May
Arroyo Seco AIDS Memorial Grove
Began in February 1991 by the Arroyo Seco Council, a
volunteer organization, as part of an effort to reforest the Arroyo. (Los
Angeles Times, April 22, 1993)
Brenner Park Play Area
At the entrance to the Tot play area in Brenner Park, off
Chapman Street, a plaque on the drinking fountain indicates community
interest. The inscription reads: “Presented by Northwest Property
Owners Association, November 1955.”
Business Park of Pasadena
SW corner of Washington Blvd. and
On the Southeast corner of Washington and Lincoln, at the
base of the flagpole, is a plaque in tribute to William Henry Harrison.
The inscription reads: “On this site stood the private
residence of William Henry Harrison (1882-1955) and the office of
Harrison Realty Company. Mr. Harrison was Pasadena’s first Black real
estate broker and was a pioneer in eliminating segregation and
discrimination in the ownership and enjoyment of property by Blacks,
Hispanics, and Asians. By his untiring efforts and participation in
numerous business and civic activities, he was a significant influence
in the City, created many opportunities in housing and employment, and
was a major factor in the improvement of the quality of life in
Pasadena. Dedicated to the principle of the Equality for All this First
day of February, 1989.”
Seco St. and Rosemont Ave.
At the intersection of Seco Street and Rosemont Avenue is
an arc of 13 trees and a boulder inscribed: “Incense Cedars Honoring
the Thirteen Colonies Daughters of the American Revolution, June 14,
Emma E. Dickenson Bird Sanctuary
S. Arroyo Blvd.
between Norwood Dr. and California Blvd.
The South Arroyo Boulevard area between Norwood Drive and
California Boulevard was established as a Bird Sanctuary and includes a
fountain designed by Ernest A. Batchelder.
Dedicated June 18, 1935.
The marker reads: “This fountain marks the Bird Sanctuary
established in 1935 by the City of Pasadena in memory of Emma E.
Dickenson its benefactress.”
Grant Park Play Area
Land and Water Company Plaque
45 E. Washington
“Donated to the City of
Pasadena by the North Pasadena Land and Water Company. W.M. Eason, E.S.
Moreu, Andrew Larson, A.J. Toolen, P.W. Cartwright, Directors.”
Hamilton Park Memorial
“In honor of A.L. Hamilton
superintendent of Pasadena City Schools 1907-1911. Chairman of the
Commission, City of Pasadena 1915-1921. Presented June 11, 1960 by
Pasadena Pioneer Association and Pasadena Historical Society.”
Hogoboom Memorial Bench
Ave. 64 and
Designed by Patricia Ferber, a local artist, using river
rock and stone slabs, in memory of Betty Hogoboom and her son, Peter.
Betty Hogoboom was a longtime volunteer in education and cultural
activities. Peter Hogoboom died of AIDS.
Dedicated February 3, 1991.
Located in San Rafael Park.
Orange Grove Blvd. and Sunnyslope Ave.
Located in Gwinn Park is a grove of trees dedicated to
The park was dedicated October 8, 1972 by the Pasadena
Beautiful Foundation in memory of Floyd Gwinn.
The park, located at Orange Grove and Sunnyslope, was
previously known as Sunnyslope Park.
Also in Gwinn Park is a Camphor tree planted in memory of
Ted Huggins, the 6th president and a founding member of the
Pasadena Beautiful Foundation.
Melvin and Ruby McKnight Williams Memorial Park
Arroyo Blvd. and Westgate
Located at the corner of Arroyo Blvd. and Westgate.
Dedicated June 11, 1989 by the East Arroyo Residents’
Ruby McKnight Williams was a civil rights pioneer.
of the Rose Bowl
A bronze scroll plaque set in a boulder placed in the
island of the approach road south of the Rose Bowl entrance dedicated
the Newell Bikeway at a ceremony and gathering of bicycle enthusiasts on
May 21, 1966.
Inscription reads: “Kenneth C. Newell Bikeway. Dedicated
May 21, 1966 in honor of Kenneth C. Newell, first president – 1920,
Kiwanis Club of Pasadena.”
Between 673 and 695 E. Colorado
In the Playhouse Paseo, the court between Vroman’s
Bookstore and the adjacent theater, a plaque has been placed in memory
of William C. “Bill” Reynolds, the Director of City of Pasadena, Housing
and Development Department for 20 years. His accomplishments include
the revitalization of the Pasadena Playhouse District. Reynolds died in
The inscription reads: “In memory and recognition of
William C. Reynolds, City of Pasadena Director of Housing and
Development Department from 1978 to 1998 For his tireless and dedicated
service to the citizens of Pasadena.”
Dedicated October 14, 2000.
SW Corner of California Blvd. and St. John Ave.
A Magnolia tree was planted September 5, 1933, in memory
of Fannie Critz Richardson. The plaque reads: “This tree planted by the
Fannie Critz Richardson Chapter, Children of the Confederacy, in loving
memory of their founder. September 5, 1933.”
A small marker beneath a Crepe Myrtle tree in Singer Park
near the rose garden which he has tended many years, bears a testimonial
from area residents:
“In appreciation to Howard C.
Deitrick faithful guardian of this garden park and of the welfare of all
who enjoy its beauty. This tree is dedicated by the neighbors of Singer
Park, August 24, 1963.”
Tournament Park Plaque
East side of South Wilson Ave.
between California Blvd. and Cornell
“Historical site – Tournament
Park. Official terminus of the first transcontinental airplane flight.
Calbraith (Cal) Perry Rogers took off from Sheepshead Bay New York
September 17, 1911, landing here November 5, 1911.
Earlier flights – Roy
Knabenshue piloted his dirigible from here March 29, 1909. Charles
Willard landed here in his airplane March 31, 1911.
Other early events: Balloon
flights, horse races, including early Tournament of Roses chariot races,
East – West football games, display of Tournament of Roses floats
Presented 1962 by Pasadena Pioneer Association and Pasadena Historical